Wednesday, December 31, 2008
Saturday, December 20, 2008
I 'designed' the doll purse myself - and seeing I hate joining things together, I made it so it is all in one piece. I only had to weave in the beginning tail and the ending tail, sew on the button and ta-da! I've called it the "I'm Bringing Frilly Back" doll purse. Look out Justin Timberlake!
Wednesday, December 10, 2008
Saturday, December 6, 2008
I decided I'd make my nieces similiar style scarfs to match their mum's so all "the girls" would have the same.
I'm intending, time permitting, to also make the girls berets as well, in the same colour as the outside shell borders of their scarfs.
If you look closely I wove in the darker outside colour through the middle of the scarf. I was quite pleased with this idea (go me!) as I think it gives it a more finished look. (Not to be mistaken with Finnish from Finlad - ha! ha!).
Sunday, November 30, 2008
On the lovely Ravelry group - Crochet Lovers Victoria - we are planning on having a toilet paper cover design competition after Christmas. Well, I couldn't wait that long! I can't remember but I may have even been the one to recommend we wait until after Christmas because I was too busy! LOL
Well, instead of working on Christmas presents like I should be, last night I designed and made this goldfish toilet paper roll cover instead. I'm exceedingly proud of myself - seeing I envisioned this thing in my head, winged it - having never made a toilet cover of any kind - used techniques I've never used before, and ended up with something that, if I do say so myself, is pretty cute!
First I drew a sketch (I know, I know... don't give up my day job to be an artist)
Then I grabbed the orange acrylic and started with the "face" - making sure it was the right size to fit the loo roll.
I was originally thinking red lips, but it was just too close too the orange. I pulled out some different shades, and found I like the purple lips the best. I made a small set of lips and a bigger set of lips. Unfortunately the bigger set made it look like a duck instead of a fish, so I went with the smaller ones.
After I was done with the water and waves, I improvised some fins, popped them on, and TA-DA! My first toilet roll cover design was complete!
Tuesday, November 25, 2008
Friday, November 21, 2008
I also had to pick up some Possum/Merino/Silk wool that I found. You can buy the possum/merino products all over New Zealand but they are SOOOOO crazy expensive. The wool was pretty expensive as well, but it was just so different with the possum in it, I had to get it. I'm using it for some Christmas presents... which will have to remain secret for now.
Tuesday, November 11, 2008
I don't know how that F got there, and it is really annoying me. Especially since I can't think of anything that I could "make" it stand for. Ergh!
Monday, November 10, 2008
Saturday, November 8, 2008
Tuesday, November 4, 2008
Monday, November 3, 2008
Friday, October 31, 2008
These were made with some 8 ply acrylic as well as some gray "hope" yarn around the edges for some fluffy softness. I ran out of the gray fluffy stuff when I was almost finished with the hat. I added the three little crocheted flowers near the brim to help disguise the fact that I ran out of the fluffy stuff! :) It was a happy accident because I quite like the result.
Thursday, October 30, 2008
Both the doll scarf and beanie I just improvised as I went along. I have some measurements for the American Girl dolls so I just try to make sure they will fit.
Wednesday, October 29, 2008
I had, what I assumed to be, about a quarter of a skein of the turquoise wool left which I thought would be plenty to make the three rows of sc needed for this pattern. As it turned out, I only had enough for two rows, and truly, just barely at that. If the scarf had even be two or three stitches longer, I wouldn't have had enough. At this point, I was really loving the colour combination and didn't want to have to go another route.
Over the next several weeks, I went to every Spotlight I could find to try and get more of the turquoise colour wool. Nobody had any!!! I was absolutely crushed and so terribly disappointed. Some projects you just get more attached to than others, and I was quite attached to this one.
Thanks to some wonderfully kind and generous people on Ravelry, I was able to get a bit more of the right wool. Unfortunately not having the ball band for the partial skein anymore, I could only guess at the colour. I was able to purchase two balls from one kind-hearted soul, only to have it arrive and find out it was the wrong colour.
Another amazingly generous person sent me as much as she could fit in a standard 55 cent envelope and it ended up being a perfect match. Yippee!
Two days after I was finished making the scarf, I make a quick stop into a Spotlight to find something else, and wouldn't you know it, they had more of the teal/turquoise wool! LOL I had to buy 3 skeins while it was there... just in case! Pluse I do like these colours together and may make this scarf again for someone else.
I was originally intending for this scarf to be a Christmas gift for someone, but I'm just too darn attached to it now, I'll have to keep it for myself. But now that I've found more of the turquoise, I think I'll make another one.